The Defence Forces Technical College (DEFTEC) was established in late 1964 with the responsibility of training all Technicians in the Kenya Defence Forces. On 18th March 1993 DEFTEC was registered by the then Ministry of Research, Technical Training and Technology to offer National Technical Diplomas. In March 2002 the College was accredited to Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) to offer Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Technology.
The mission of DEFTEC is to train technical manpower for the Kenya Defence Forces and any interested security forces or armed services from friendly countries, to enable them service, repair and maintain Electrical, Electronic Instruments, Mechanical equipment, Weapons and Computer based Information systems and equipment.
The students who graduate from the College will be competent enough to operate and maintain Ground, Airborne and Marine military engineering/IT facilities within the services.
Candidates wishing to join DEFTEC MUST first and foremost meet Defence Headquarters set recruitment requirements for recruits and must complete the basic military training. Additionally, they must meet the following conditions:
- All prospective technicians must have at least a mean aggregate of C- (C minus) with scores of C- (C minus) in Mathematics, English and Physics or Physical Science in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) or an equivalent standard of education (GCE, 'O' Level) or relevant craft certificate.
- They must pass the Defence Forces Technical Aptitude Test administered at recruitment centre.
- Those aspiring to take BSc in Computer Technology, must have at least a mean grade of C+ (C plus) with scores of C (C plain) in Mathematics and Physics or Physical Science in the KCSE.
- Completion of basic military training is mandatory
The following National/University Diploma/Degree courses are currently being offered in DEFTEC:
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering - Airframes & Engines
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering - Avionics
- Diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Diploma in Electronic Engineering
- Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Automotive Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - Plant option
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - Production option
- Diploma in Computer Technology*
- BSc in Computer Technology*
* Courses accredited to JKUAT
The College also conducts the following courses:
- Computer Operators Course
- Instructional Techniques (Methods of Training) Course
- Trade Conversion Courses
- Technical Officers Seminar
- Trade Managers Seminar
- Aircraft Maintenance Officers Course (AMOC)